Saturday, April 2, 2011

New tools!

I finally made the decision to get 2 new tools that I think will really increase efficiency for JL Interior Design. 1) Quickbooks. I LOVE it! It is so easy to use. 2) A hand-held, Leica DISTO D2 Laser Distance Measurer. Two recent jobs I've been working on required measurements and it is very cumbersome and time consuming to use a tape measure. I would love - love - love to get the Disto D8 but after reading the reviews it sounds like there are still some kinks that need to be worked out. I specifically like the sound of the D8 because it allows you to send measurements to AutoCAD using bluetooth. This capability got me to thinking about my iPad. It would be great if a portion of my AutoCAD software, just the basic model space where you draw out the dimensions for a new layout, could exist on my iPad. I could use a stylus and draw out the basic floor plan and then use my laser distance measurer to firm-up those dimensions and then send that file to my computer, where I could then upload my floor plan and/or elevations into my AutoCAD file. That would be ridiculously easy & efficient! I quickly checked Apple to see if they possible have an app for this...I didn't see anything but would love to be wrong. IF anyone knows of this capability, please let me know!

No comments: