Friday, October 4, 2013

Inspiration

Inspiration can be found anywhere. However, when you travel, it seems to jump out from behind every corner and surprise you.

Here are some of my favorite pieces of inspiration from this trip.

Red...prior to this trip I have been guilty of saying, "I hate red". How can anyone hate one color? Well, I'm over that now. Fell in love with the intensity and depth that it brings to any setting. 
Totally cliche but sunsets really are inspiring to me. Nature seems to showcase her best work at dawn and dusk.
The bold use of black as a headboard - simple yet effective. Not sure if you can see it in this picture but there are squares of alternating textures on this headboard - that alternate like black and white squares on a checkerboard moving from flat to glossy finishes.
Notice the red in this swimsuit? So playful and less serious. This swimsuit is a Missoni swimsuit, size 3-4, I think. It was adorable but had to pass on it...just obsessed with the way Missoni prints all work so well together. They energize me anytime I see them.
Here's a wall covering that is fabric stretched over the wall. The purple was perfect for this alcove. The pillows are Kimberly McDonald Home - LOVE!
 Such simplicity in this wall sconce but the way the light seems to delicately emerge from behind the metal and through the slivered openings I found mesmerizing.
Wall of lanterns - was taken in by the organic shapes that were contrasted against the structured layout/placement of the lights.
Our little Hula Girl...reminding me how well pink and green go together - as if I ever forgot. ;-)
Overall, I find myself repeatedly drawn to the simplicity of Hawaiian design. The lines are clean and crisp yet there is warmth to everything. It feels modern without making me feel 'cold' when I view it. 

No comments: